Jul 24, 2020
On this week’s episode I have April Yanko on the Zoom talking acting, writing and staying out of the sun even while living in LA. We talk about Pittsburgh, self-promotion for actors, why somebody would move to Los Angeles, training, a little about “Method” and what famous people are from Pittsburgh like Michael Keaton, Quinton Tarantino, Gene Kelly and Christina Aguilera.
From her website Aprilyanko.com:
Actor | Writer | Overall Weirdo
I am an actor and writer living in Los Angeles. I moved here recently from Pittsburgh, where the bulk of my experience has taken place, so I have many stories on what indie film production is like (both from an actor's pov and from that of a producer, writer, and director).
I made my TV debut on the Reelz Channel playing serial killer Karla Homolka, where I was flown to Dallas to shoot for four days.
I've been a brand ambassador for different companies in Pittsburgh and LA, working many live events. Also, a birthday party princess, working mostly as Rapunzel and Anna. Commercial shoots, model shoots, voice over gigs, I've done a LOT of different jobs within the facet of acting. And, of course, I've gathered many stories along the way.
I am a lover of cats and eater of pasta. I share internet things by the name Post March. "Post" means after, so my name is "after March," which should answer the question, "Is this a Post Malone reference?" (rather than focus on my videos, I want viewers to think about, understand, and then appreciate my riddle username).
Here are some super fun facts about me, the one with the face:
- I went to the National Theater Institute at the Eugene O'Neill Theater Center where I learned how to create in all aspects of theater AND how to do it while concussed.
- My first guest star was on a show called, "Murder Made Me Famous," where I played serial killer and evil Canadian Karla Homolka, part of the Ken and Barbie Killers. I got this role through self-pitching and relationship-nurturing. Because I'm a bad ass. It's also one of the best filming experiences I've ever had.
- If you know Pennsylvania, I am from Johnstown, land of floods. If you don't, I am from Pittsburgh, land of potholes.
- Since graduating Point Park, I've been in over 70 student films and over 30 other projects (I want to say the opposite of student film is "adult films" but that doesn't seem right in this context).
- I narrate tutorials for VEXcode Robotics so maybe I've explained to your kid how to update the firmware of their V5 Brain.
- My first self-written/directed/produced short film, "this is a garden," is currently on the festival circuit and recently won "Best Cast" at the Alternative Film Fest in Vancouver (and I'm one of two actors in it so that's pretty good).
- My second short film, "Butt Stuff," is currently in post. It's about a sentient sex butt that is jealous of its owner's relationship with another human.
- I make random goofy videos that I share online under various forms of "Post March," which you can find by following my social links in my header.
- My first feature with a starring role, "Force to Fear," forced me to learn a lot of fight choreography and how to properly condition my hair after the 80s style tried to fry it off of my head.
- I just finished a pitching TV course where I learned how to better share my awesome adult cartoon, "Craig and Sophie."
- During college I created a Feminist Collective, served two years in Residence Life, and worked at the library as a professional shusher.
- Sure I have a BA in Acting; but more importantly, I have one in PR and Advertising. Just marvel at this website my degree taught me how to make.
- My favorite voice actor is Jodi Benson and I think if I met her I would accidentally pee myself (much like her most famous character, Ariel, did when she turned into a human).
Some other random tidbits:
- I love all pastas equally.
- I have a black cat named Artie who is my son.
- I am incredibly fond of Futurama and the Powerpuff Girls.
- All of my Neopets are alive and well.
Music for all episodes by Jon Griffin.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCugOLERePPuD4nwtZO-Zwnw?view_as=subscriber
My Instagram: @joelyshmoley and @slideswithjohn